Thursday, July 10, 2014

Cultural Mindsets

If you haven't yet, watch this ad:


I'll admit the first time I saw this, it made me cry. I understand we are only seeing a finished product and we can't be sure what exactly what went into this commercial, but as you were watching the ad, would you have done the same thing as those older girls? I know that I would have. Then to see the younger girls pour their heart and soul into those activities, like we all should be doing, broke my heart.


Shape Magazine had mixed reactions to the ad, saying that we should be past this stereotype in today's society, but found that elite athletes had some interesting opinions on the topic. I believe that women have better self-concept today than they did 50-60 years ago, but that there is still much room for improvement. I would never label myself as a feminist, but I think every single person, male or female, has the right to feel valued and empowered. I have no issue with the phrase "like a girl". What needs to change is the image that comes to mind when we hear the phrase "like a girl".


As the ad asks, when did the phrase "like a girl" become an insult? I pray that if I ever have a daughter, I can raise her to be above this stereotype, and if I have a son, that he will recognize that women are just as capable as men.


Then I came across this article the other day. Scott Tousignant writes about the "transparency" of the fitness industry. Through Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, even Pinterest, you can come across thousands of selfies sporting fit, good-looking people and images of food. (Just look at all the pictures of food in this blog! ;p) But as Scott says, that selfie, only reveals one second of his day. What about the other 23 hours, 59 minutes, and 59 seconds of his day? Plus, have you ever taken a selfie? You can take dozens of pictures just to find one that you actually like and want to post. When Judah and I were apart we would send each other a picture every day to "see" the other person and it would take me ten minutes before I took one I actually liked!


Scott then continues and discusses that social media is beginning to force the fitness industry to be more truthful and more real. He also reveals that not everyone goes through an enjoyable transformation and that people need to talk more about that. One of the greatest benefits of social media is it has helped generate unity and allows you to more easily connect with others. Because of this, if you are struggling with something, you have people you can reach out to for support. Scott says "the more open we are about our experiences, the more we can learn from each another".


That's a large reason why I started a blog. I am sharing my life and my experience with others, hoping I can help others out. I have never had big inspirations to dramatically change my physique, but I want to be healthy and happy. I love to cook and bake so I share my favorite recipes with you all. Exercise has been a big part of my life for over a decade now so I share my tips, tricks, and favorites.


My goal of this post was two-fold.
     1. Are you buying into the negative stereotypes that exist? Such as you "run/throw/kick/etc like a girl"?
    2. Are you being true to yourself in social media? We all want to be portrayed in the most positive light, but when you are struggling with something, do you share that to receive encouragement and support from others?


If you've been reading my blog, please leave a comment. I want to hear from my readers! :)




1 comment:

  1. I read your blog every day, not because your my granddaughter, but because I believe in what you say. You always give me food for thought and good food to eat.
    Keep spreading the word. I think you should send a copy of todays blog to everyone you know and invite them to take this journey with you. It's going to be one heck of a ride. I want to come, it looks exciting.

    Love to you and Judah,

    ReplyDelete