Friday, August 22, 2014

My Yoga Journey

I still remember my very first yoga class... Seven years ago during my freshmen year of college there was a snow day. Classes were cancelled, but the Recreation Center was going to still have a few fitness classes, including yoga. My friend from down the hall and I decided we should go check it out. I never gave much thought to yoga because I loved high intensity, high energy classes like kickboxing and using the elliptical. I didn't think I would enjoy slowing down for an hour. Boy was I wrong!


What I remember most about leaving that class was how rejuvenated I felt! After the three-five minutes in savasana, where you lie flat on your back with your eyes closed at the end of class, I felt as if I had slept for a full night. It was amazing and I couldn't wait to try it again. Sadly, college was a very busy time for me so I never did yoga more than once every week or two.

Then I became an instructor, teaching kickboxing, and when I found out that there would be a Level One Yogafit Training, I couldn't wait to sign up! I had taken enough yoga classes at that point that I could have taught a class if I needed to, but taking the instructor's class deepened my own practice and understanding of yoga. Unfortunately I never continued with the other levels of instructor courses, but my love for yoga didn't fade. Several times I've considered a 200 hour instructor training, but I've never had the time nor the funds. Who knows, maybe once Judah and I get our vehicles set up and my loans figured out, I can look into it :)

Anyways, when I moved to Texas in 2012, I was searching around for ways to stay fit. I had increased my running and had a small collection of my own hand weights, so I didn't want to pay for a gym membership, but I was interested in joining a yoga studio. Through Facebook I found a Bikram yoga studio in Tyler and they were hosting a free class on Labor Day. I asked one of my new friends, Kacie, to join me. It was quite an experience!


Bikram yoga is practiced in a heated 105 degree room, with about 40% humidity for 90 minutes. It consists of 26 postures, including two breathing exercises at the start and end of class. It may be intense, but it has been by far my favorite type of yoga. The challenge of it is addicting. That first class I was absolutely drenched in sweat and definitely did not bring enough water with me, but I couldn't wait to try it again! I signed up for three months and dove right in. I made the drive down to Tyler two-three times per week and my boss was flexible, allowing me to leave in time to make the 7 PM class on Mondays/Wednesdays. He joked I should just turn off the AC in my house or go outside instead to do my "hot yoga", but that didn't deter me.


In November, they had signs advertising free yoga in exchange for cleaning so I inquired. Sure enough if I cleaned the studio once per week, I'd receive the monthly $80 membership free. Why not? I was paying my way through grad school on a menial salary so any bit of money saved helped! Finally in April, with summer right around the corner and various work commitments, I had to walk away from the studio and when I returned to Texas in the fall of 2013, I was unable to make the trips down to Tyler to restart my practice.

As I've already said, I really enjoyed Bikram. Not only did my flexibility improve, but so did my stamina, and mentally I felt great. It takes a great deal of concentration and determination to remain in that warm of a room for 90 minutes, trust me! But literally pouring out all my sweat felt like such an accomplishment and to feel the cool air of the studio when you left the practice room at the end of class was so incredibly refreshing! I wish I could still practice, but there are no studios near us out here :(


But thankfully that's where MyYogaPro comes in :) I signed up back in February and the website launched at the end of April. I've completed five courses already, with ten more to go! My practice definitely has not been consistent, but in this past week I have found motivation to commit myself to practicing every other day. I love the benefits of yoga, but always make excuses to not do it. Not anymore!


 Erin Motz is an incredible yoga inspiration. My favorite part about here is her compassion. She claims to respond to every single email she receives and she is very connected through Instagram and Facebook with her audience. She has also supplied several FREE yoga series and is always sharing videos and information with her followers. She is a self-proclaimed "bad yogi", which I love, because yoga tends to get a bad rap for having high demands of its participants, but the truth is ANYONE can do yoga!

I do have a second access code to MyYogaPro for anyone who will actually take advantage of it! Just leave a comment and I'd be more than happy to share :)

Readers: What different types of yoga have you tried? What's your favorite type?

No comments:

Post a Comment