Thursday, August 21, 2014

Enough of Social Media?

I'm thinking about staying away from Facebook and Instagram for a while. It has become so draining and time consuming! As much as I love the gift of the Internet and this technology that allows you to connect with friends, I find that more often than not I am not using it in a constructive fashion. Most of the friends I want to stay connected with don't check Facebook. Few of my close friends are on Instagram. So why waste my time here? But then every once in a while I see a post for a prayer request or get to see pictures of my nieces and nephews. I hear about my friend's latest new job and see that so and so competed in that race.

But then there is the negativity, political rants, left-side/right-side/all over the place comments on hot issues, posts to support pro-choice, posts to protect our second amendment rights. Again and again and again. Then the ice bucket challenge! Don't get me wrong, that is a huge success story to the positive use of social media but after two weeks now, I've had enough of the ice buckets. Just go online and donate. You don't need to show the entire world you contributed. The only thing that matters is you did. (Yes, I made my donation this morning despite never being "nominated" for the challenge")

I read an article posted by a friend the other day about a woman who chose to stop using the "like" button on Facebook and instead made herself comment on posts. What a great idea! I know personally that I can easily go through and like half of what I see on Facebook, but what am I accomplishing? Instead, let's actually interact!! I can't tell you how many times I've found myself wanting to post on a blog and have it fully written out, only to delete it. I think "that person doesn't care what I share here" and I move on. But I know from having this blog, I WANT to hear from you guys! Even if it's "great post!", I love knowing that you were here and got something out of what I write. So I have been trying not to "like" posts on Facebook, but instead leave a comment or kind word. It hasn't been easy, lemme tell you that! But with practice, I'll find a way to connect more with people on Facebook than just a "thumbs up" and I challenge you to do the same!

 I have always said I keep social media for myself, and really for the most part it is true. Granted, I try to stay connected so my friends can see what is going on in my life, but I like to look back at my timeline or previous tweets or posts to remember those times. Honestly, I began this blog to keep myself entertained and to stay connected with friends. If no one read this, I'd be okay with it. I've always been better at writing my thoughts down (Judah has dozens of notes and long, novel-like text messages from throughout our relationship to prove it lol) and I used to keep several handwritten and online journals in my adolescence. I see this as no different. I am able to think, reflect, and write out my thoughts on certain topics. I plan to share the articles I write for Christian Sports Today magazine and provide some insight when I find there is a topic that needs addressing.

I have actually "unpublished" my Facebook page for this blog because I need a break. Maybe in a week or two I will change my mind and put it back up, but for now, I'm happy keeping this "private" and linking it through my own FB profile. Just bookmark the page and keep coming back :) I hope you do!

Readers: Does anyone else feel like they need a break from social media?

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you Shel. I thoroughly enjoy your blog. I rarely go to facebook any more. I don't want to know everyone's every thought. Lately it is even hard to turn on the news. The killings and negativity
    are appalling. Positiveness is very important in our lives right now and we are positive, at least some of us are. Love you both, ove Nana

    ReplyDelete