Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Cowboys and Oatmeal

I am a huge country fan.

My favorite radio channel is SiriusXM On the Highway and I am in love with Randy Houser's "Like a Cowboy" - his latest hit on country radio.


It's an incredible, emotional ballad and it probably gets to me since Judah and I were in a distance relationship for over 75% of ours. Thankfully I wouldn't only get one night with him and then he'd have to leave again, but anytime you have to overcome distance, it's not easy. So if you haven't heard the song yet and haven't clicked the link above, do it now! You won't regret it :D


On Sunday, I made Cinnamon Roll Baked Oatmeal for the week, finding the recipe on Chocolate Covered Katie's Healthy Dessert Blog through Pinterest.



I adapted her original recipe to fill a 12-muffin pan:

Cinnamon Roll Baked Oatmeal (makes 12)
- 2 cups oats (I used old fashioned)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Mix all ingredients in a bowl. Line muffin pan with paper liners and pour mix into each one. Cook for 15-20 minutes until firm then broil for 3 more minutes for a nice "crunch". 


I then used this Cream Cheese Glaze from The Recipe Critic for the topping:

Cream Cheese Glaze
- 4 tbsp butter
- 2 oz. cream cheese, at room temp
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Melt the butter over low heat in a small pan. Whisk in the cream cheese, vanilla, and powdered sugar. Take off the heat and allow to cool slightly. Drizzle over the top of the "muffins" when they are cool.


These baked oatmeal "muffins" are so easy to make, and most people will find the necessary ingredients in their cupboard - Katie's original recipe offers a variety of substitutions for the sugar and liquid component of the recipe.
I personally love them cold! I have them stored in the refrigerator and we simply take them out and put them right on the plate in the morning, but obviously you can eat them fresh from the oven or pop them in the microwave quick. 
I am not the biggest fan of oatmeal (it's a little too mushy for me), but these baked "muffins" are a great way to eat the fiber-rich, heart-healthy oats in the morning.  


Also, I realize I need to improve my picture taking skills, and remember to take pictures in the first place. I promise to make that my new goal :)

My next post will discuss the new workout challenge I found for Judah and I to complete this month :)
<3 Shelby

Readers: What's your favorite breakfast food? Are you a fan of oatmeal and have you ever tried a baked oatmeal recipe? What are your favorite oatmeal add-ins ?


No comments:

Post a Comment